Friday, October 26, 2012

Barcelona and Gaudi

Wow! I was finally able to go to Barcelona this past week for the first time and I will say that it is spectacular. I have always been in love with Barcelona so this was so exciting to be able to go. The one aspect that first sold me on Spain seven years ago was the architecture of Antonio Gaudi and all of his works are featured in Barcelona. He is a genius architect and has created some of the most original sites that I have ever seen. His most famous work is La Sagrada Familia. It is a basilica that has been under construction for 100 years and is expected to be completed in 2024. It is more beautiful that I could have imagined. It is huge and can be seen from a lot of places around the city. My favorite part about it was that it is positioned so that the sun makes the colors of the stain glass windows flood the interior and it looks almost as if they installed artificial lighting.
I also went to Parc Guell. It is at a peak in the city so you can see everything which was pretty cool but it was raining to I didn't get the best view. It is a giant park that just seems to have no end. It is very beautiful and there are so many different areas of the park that look nothing like each other which I really enjoyed. They also have a museum of Gaudi's house that you can go into.
The last place I got to visit of his works was La Pedrera. This was a really cool place! It is known for it's unique rooftop. It was originally built for a family who wanted a whole floor as their own apartment but wanted to make an entire building for other people to rent out.

No comments:

Post a Comment